Are you an emerging museum professional (EMP) within the first 10 years of your career? Are you passionate about the future of museums in Ontario? Would you like to be a voice for emerging museum professionals, network with your peers and have an opportunity to develop your own leadership skills?
If so, then the Group of Ontario Emerging Museum Professionals (GOEMP) Committee is looking for you! We are in search of 2 new Members-At-Large.
What is the Group of Ontario Emerging Museum Professionals (GOEMP) Committee?
The Committee is a voice and a resource for the GOEMP community which provides programming, communications, and resources both digitally and in-person, and fosters a supportive, professional network among Ontario’s EMPs. In addition, we execute networking and advocacy events in partnership with the Ontario Museum Association (OMA) and other cultural organizations, including initiatives at the annual OMA Conference such as Conference Connections and Trivia Night.
What will you do?
Committee Members are champions for EMPs in Ontario. You will collaborate with other GOEMP Committee members to bring forward new ideas and develop methods and resources to benefit the EMP community. You will assist in carrying out program and communication plans to foster the growing network of emerging museum professionals across the province . You will develop and help coordinate plans to increase EMP participation and visibility at the annual OMA Conference and other professional development events by the OMA and other organizations. You will communicate with Ontario EMPs through a variety of mediums, and you will be an ambassador for the GOEMP by representing the group externally at meetings and events as necessary.
We are looking for 2 Committee Members
We are looking for two (2) committee members to participate in this volunteer committee for a term of three years. The committee is comprised of a Chair, Vice-Chair, Secretary, Communications Chair, 2 Conference & Programs Co-Chairs, and Members-at-Large. We are currently seeking to fill two (2) Members-at-Large positions.
Please note that membership appointments will take into account the need to have balanced representation across the following criteria: number of years in the field, regional representation, size and type of museum workplace, and professional specialisations. We are currently striving for greater geographical representation to better reflect the diversity of the province. Therefore, priority will be given to EMPs living/working in Northern Ontario and Western Ontario.
We are looking for people with the following qualities. You are:
- Within 10 years of the beginning of your professional career.
- A museum lover who cares about the future of the profession and your fellow professionals.
- A quick thinker, full of ideas, with problem solving and planning capabilities.
- An excellent communicator interested in, and good with, social media who is curious about new technologies, a confident public speaker, and has a good phone manner.
- Willing to listen and learn. You have a can-do attitude.
- Someone with museum experience (volunteer or paid).
- Offer support to the Committee, bringing fresh ideas, perspectives, opportunities, and enthusiasm to the EMP community in Ontario.
- Regularly attend meetings and stay current with GOEMP Committee communications.
- Support their local area and EMPs.
- Support the communications chair with social media and ensuring the Facebook group is regularly updated with quality content of interest to the GOEMP community.
If this sounds like you, then please send a resume and cover letter outlining why you’re the right person to sit on this committee and how you demonstrate the qualities above to email@example.com.
The deadline for applications is 5pm on Friday, August 11, 2017.
UPDATE AUGUST 12, 2017: The deadline for applications is 5pm on Friday, August 18, 2017.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for interview will be contacted. Interviews may be in person or by teleconference. Appointments will be made by a panel made up of members of the GOEMP Committee.
Terms for members will be until January 2019.