September 15, 2016
Are you an emerging museum professional within the first 10 years of the beginning of your career? Are you passionate about the future of museums in Ontario? Would you like to be a voice for emerging museum professionals, network with your peers and have an opportunity to develop your own leadership skills?
If so, then the Group of Ontario Emerging Museum Professionals (GOEMP) Committee is looking for you!
What is the Group of Ontario Emerging Museum Professionals (GOEMP) Committee?
The Committee is a voice and a resource for the GOEMP community, providing programming, communications, and resources both digitally and in-person, and fostering a supportive, professional network among Ontario’s EMPs. In addition, we execute networking and advocacy events in partnership with the Ontario Museum Association (OMA) and other organizations, including initiatives at OMA Conference, including Conference Connections and Trivia Night.
What will you do?
Committee Members are champions for EMPs in Ontario. You will assist in executing program and communication plans to create a network of emerging museum professionals across Ontario. GOEMP Committee develops and executes plans for participation in the OMA Annual Conference and other learning events by the OMA and other organizations. You will communicate with Ontario EMPs through a variety of mediums, and you will be an ambassador for the GOEMP, representing the group externally at meetings and events, as necessary.
We are looking for 7 Committee Members
We are looking for seven (7) committee members to participate in this volunteer committee for terms of three years. The committee is comprised of a Chair, Vice-Chair, Secretary, Communications Chair, Conference & Programs Chair, and Members-at-Large. Once the committee has a full complement of members, positions will be voted on. See below for the complete list of positions and responsibilities.
Please note that appointments will take into account the need to have balanced representation across the following criteria: number of years in the field, regional representation, size and type of museum, specializations.
We are looking for people with the following qualities. You are:
- Within 10 years of the beginning of your professional career.
- A museum lover who cares about the future of the profession and your fellow professionals.
- A quick thinker, full of ideas, with problem solving and planning capabilities.
- An excellent communicator interested in and good with social media, curious about new technologies, a confident public speaker, and someone with a good phone manner.
- Willing to listen and learn. You have a can-do attitude.
- Someone with museum experience (volunteer or paid).
If this sounds like you, then please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your statement of interest, along with a cover letter and resume, outlining why you’re the right person to sit on this committee and how you demonstrate the qualities above.
The deadline for applications is 5pm on Friday, September 30, 2016.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for interview will be contacted. Interviews will be conducted online through video conferencing. Appointments will be made by a panel made up of members of the GOEMP Committee.
For more information on GOEMP, please visit our Facebook Page.
Terms for members will be until January 2019.
The Group of Ontario Emerging Museum Professionals Committee will comprise up to 9 members. As Ontario is a large and diverse province, composition of the Committee will strive to reflect this. Regional representation will ideally come from southwest Ontario, the Greater Toronto Area (GTA), southeast Ontario (and Ottawa area), and northern Ontario.
The committee will be comprised of the following positions, with responsibilities as such:
- Organize meetings on a quarterly basis, prepare the agenda, and convene the meeting.
- Liaise with the National EMP Network.
- Liaise with the OMA, as necessary.
- Represent the GOEMP Committee at programs and events, such as Queen’s Park Day.
- Support the Chair as necessary, and act as chair in the event of that the chair cannot fulfill their responsibilities
- Take minutes during meetings and distribute to all committee members.
- Prepare the Annual Report, with support from the Chair and other members
- Maintain the GOEMP website
- Contribute regular updates to GOEMP social media, including the Facebook page and monitoring the use of and engagement with the #GOEMP hashtag.
- Liaise with OMA communications staff to ensure GOEMP activities are made known to the larger Ontario museum sector
- Create and monitor a system of communicating Ontario museum job and volunteer listings or notifications to the GOEMP community
- Explore the creation of a GOEMP newsletter or related communications initiatives
Conference & Programs Chair
- Liaise with OMA staff in regards to EMP activities at the OMA annual conference.
- Explore opportunities for new partnerships, including networking with schools and raising awareness of GOEMP support and resources amongst new students.
- Offer support for EMPs in creating and hosting successful regional ‘Meet Up’ events
- Develop EMP-focused professional development initiatives and resources
Members at Large
- Offer support to the Committee, bringing fresh ideas, perspectives, opportunities, and enthusiasm for the EMP community
- Regularly attend meetings and stay current with GOEMP Committee communications.
- Support their local area and EMPs.
- Support the communications chair with social media and ensuring the Facebook group is regularly updated with quality content of interest to the GOEMP community.